Monday, June 24, 2013

Nutrition labels: What's in an egg?

One day, I was talking to a friend of mine and she was telling me about the eggs that you now purchases.  She mentioned how they were organic and all these other great things about the eggs.  Had I not been familiar with the content of eggs, I would have ran out and purchased the brands that she talked about.  Instead, I decided to assist my friend with reading nutrition labels. I mentioned to her to look at the cholesterol figure on the label.  She did and though she lives in another state, I thought for sure I heard her mouth hit the floor.  

One large egg typically contains a WHOPPING 212mg of cholesterol in the yolk.  If you follow the AHA’s (American Heart Association) advice, it’s to eat less than 300mg of cholesterol a day or less than 200mg if you already have heart disease. Take that one egg and multiply it by three and you’re over 600mg of cholesterol in just the eggs alone!

The good thing about eggs are that they are a good source of protein, contains vitamin E, and choline (a nutrient that may help prevent heart disease).


If you can, just eat the egg whites or look for egg substitutes. Better Homes and Gardens had a nice article on healthy eggs, click here.  Do, however, read your nutrition labels!

No comments:

Post a Comment