Monday, June 24, 2013

Healthy Planet Healthy People 5k

Earlier this month, I set out to partake in the Health Planet, Healthy People 5k race.  Last year, was the first of this race and my husband and I decided to set out and do the race.  The course is beautiful.  Which should be expected when you’re in the Metroparks.  One part of the course includes stairs, yes, stairs that lead up to this gorgeous view overlooking the park.  We managed to complete the race, though it did come with it’s challenges (THE STAIRS), but we finished. 

This year, I had to go back.  I had to do the course again and not only beat last year’s time, but to defeat the “stairs”.  Why such a big deal?  It was 135 steps taking up this moutain that seemed to never end.

In preparation for the race this year, I trained by running up 151 steps a few times a week.  The result for the race? Not only did I beat last year's time, I conquered the stairs! When I reached the top, I didn’t know whether I should scream with excitement or scream because my legs were burning intensely.  In either case, I continued the last leg of the course and that was enough for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment