Friday, October 11, 2013

Life with a Goiter - Part 1

Before I go deep into just how my life was with a goiter, let me first define what a goiter is.  

As defined by the American Thyroid Association, a “goiter” simply refers to the abnormal enlargement of the thyroid gland. It is important to know that the presence of a goiter does not necessarily mean that the thyroid gland is malfunctioning. A goiter can occur in a gland that is producing too much hormone (hyperthyroidism), too little hormone (hypothyroidism), or the correct amount of hormone (euthyroidism). A goiter indicates there is a condition present which is causing the thyroid to grow abnormally.

Well, for my bundle of joy, which you can clearly see in my photo below, I was living with a problem and really didn't think much about it.  I was coughing a lot.  Always seemed like there was something in my throat.  But, the coughing seemed to occur mostly at night.  Since, many people really didn't seem to stare at my neck, I didn't think it was necessary for me to focus too much on it.  Really, my previous endocrinologist, would do ultrasounds yearly, blood tests and send me on my way.  Everything was normal, TSH levels and no signs of cancer was what I was told at every visit.

Looking at my neck, you can see the goiter. 
Why even worry, is what I thought. No cancer with things are normal, why even push to have it removed?  Time passed by and my husband kept forcing the issue regarding my goiter. He was seeing something that I apparently wasn't. He was just so bothered and kept telling me it's just not normal.  He wouldn't stop even if I wanted him to and so I got a new endocrinologist.  


At one of early visits with my new endo, she asked if I had ever had a needle biopsy.  From the sound of that alone, I'm sure that had I never had one, I would have clearly remembered a "needle biopsy"- the sound alone says, OUCH! Since, I hadn't she performed one.  

It was a little needle that is placed inside selected areas to retrieve tissue that is to be tested. I remember little pricks, but nothing like the prick you get when a dentist gives you novacain! It wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined.
Sadly, the results were not instant. I had to wait a few days to find out if there was something to be concerned with. 

Then, I got the call with the results. [Sigh!] There were some questionable areas, which were identified as "gray" areas.  The only way to be sure was to remove the one side (left) of my thyroid.   




No comments:

Post a Comment