Monday, December 23, 2013

Life After Thyroid Cancer – Watch Your Foods

Well, remember when I mentioned in my earlier posts that though I was eating right and exercising, how the doctors were telling me that if I ate right and exercised, that should help me with my weight issues? Remember? I was eating right, but no one knew, eating right would be so wrong.

One visit with my OB-GYN resulted in me sharing the issues with my weight after the thyroidectomy.  Funny thing is, he suggested that I look into exactly what I was eating.  At that moment, a light bulb went off.  My others doctors suggested that I “eat right”, which for me, I was clearing eating right.  But, my OB suggested that I look into exactly what I’m eating.  He made so much sense.

I was viewing myself all along as being normal with normal functioning organs and hormones.  That is all wrong.  You’re no longer functioning in the same way, so you must develop the mind set of such.  It wasn’t my workouts at all, it truly was what I was eating.

Who knew?

Sit back…take a moment…and hold on to your seat. These raw cruciferous vegetables are regular items for me. They are: cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, mustard greens, kale, turnips, rape seed (canola oil) collard.

Guess what? You shouldn’t eat them raw. I KNOW‼! They should be cooked. Soy is another food to avoid while taking Synthroid. Eating high amounts of fiber can interfere with the absorption of thyroid hormone. Some of the high fiber foods include cooked black beans and lentils.

This site was very helpful in making you aware of what types of foods to make adjustments for. Check out this site, Thyroid - What You Need to Know. 


SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! All along my eating “right” was wrong. Did I stop “eating right”? Of course not.  I found a way to balance the foods I love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment